Cream is one of those reasons I have often said I could never be vegan, that and cheese. I can give or take meat, eggs, milk and so on, but cream and cheese always get me.
Then I decided to try whipping coconut cream up to see if it would whip like normal cream. Turns out while it’s not exactly like normal cream it is very close, and frankly, it is amazing! With cream like this, I can definitely do without normal cream. Not only is it cholesterol free and marginally better for me (still a bit on the fatty side though), but it actually tastes better too in my opinion. It also doesn’t have the side effect of phlegm build up in my throat that I get whenever I have regular dairy cream (too much info?).
All I can say is make it, it will blow your mind.
- 400ml organic coconut cream
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pour the coconut cream into a mixing bowl.
- Whip for about 5-7 minutes or until it starts to form peaks and look a lot like normal cream.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and then whip for another 3-5 minutes.
- I use Spiral for this. Their coconut cream doesn't solidify the way some other brands do but it whips very nicely.